Peninsula Truck Lines, Inc. has established a reputation for delivering peace of mind to our customers. This uncompromising commitment to our customers began in 1951 when Gus Vander Pol, John Vander Pol, Henry Vander Pol, and Richard (R.W.) Smith formed a corporation and purchased the operating authority of Tooker Motor Freight and started operating under temporary authority as Peninsula Truck Lines with service between Seattle and Port Angeles, Washington. With the focus on serving the points west of Puget Sound, a terminal in Bremerton was opened in 1964.
In 1973, Gus Vander Pol purchased all of Peninsula Truck Lines from his partners, Henry Vander Pol and R. W. Smith, and sold his interest in another trucking company to Henry Vander Pol. Gus’ sons, Stan Vander Pol and Paul Vander Pol, became stockholders. Stan would become President of Peninsula in 1976, a position he still holds to this day.
Peninsula continued to expand its service area west of Puget Sound in the seventies purchasing Poulsbo Seattle Auto Freight and then began serving Aberdeen, Washington with the purchase of Olympic Transportation.
In the eighties, Peninsula began its expansion beyond Western Washington. With deregulation service was started between Aberdeen and Portland, Oregon and later between Seattle and Portland. In 1988, intrastate Washington authority was purchased enabling expansion into eastern Washington. Service centers in Yakima and Spokane were opened that year and in 1992 a Kennewick facility was opened.
Peninsula has continued to expand its service area in the Northwest with a focus on providing the most consistent AM delivery service possible. Facilities throughout Washington and Oregon, in Boise, Idaho and Vancouver, BC have enabled Peninsula to provide excellent service throughout the Northwest.
One constant throughout our organization over the past five decades has been our belief that if you treat people—our employees and all the people for whom we work—with respect and integrity, it will promote worry-free service.